To build consensus around a comprehensive strategy for Easton’s future by engaging public input and directing the process of developing a Comprehensive Master Plan for Easton. The Master Plan Steering Committee will direct the development of the Comprehensive Master Plan working with the Planning and Zoning Board, the Planning Department and the consultant selected to prepare the Master Plan. The Committee shall formally and publically report its activities to the Planning and Zoning Board at least bi-monthly. Reports shall be made to the Board of Selectmen upon request of the Selectmen or Planning Board.
Working with the Master Plan Consultant, the Planning and Zoning Board and the Planning Department staff produce a draft Master Plan for the Town of Easton for review and approval of the Planning and Zoning Board.
It is important that a broad cross section of the community demographic provide input and comment throughout the process. Stakeholders should be representative of, but certainly not limited to, all age groups; ethnicities, various economic means, religious and secular associations, and family structures. The Steering Committee shall seek out the advice and counsel of elected officials such as the Board of Selectmen, Board of Health, Board of Assessors, Housing Authority, School Committee and Finance Committee. The Steering Committee shall seek out the advice and counsel of volunteer Boards and Committees including, but not limited to the following:
Zoning Board of Appeals Affordable Housing Trust Conservation Commission Historical Commission Agricultural Commission Cultural Council Historical Commission Green Communities Committee Council on Aging Commission on Disabilities Cemetery Commission
· Establish schedule of public involvement
· Conduct outreach
· Confirm milestones and deliverable due dates
· Ensure work is proceeding on schedule
· Convene from its membership and establishing guidelines for composition of subcommittees to study and report on specific topics
· Identifying obstacles and roadblocks to progress and helping to resolve or escalate as necessary for resolution
· Provide guidance for the creation and reviewing of data, findings, and draft documents and providing comment and input
Promotion and Buy-In
· Build interest, excitement and awareness of the process and its value
· Involve residents and stakeholders in the process
· Solicit input and comment from other municipal boards and departments
· Interface with stakeholders, other entities, public at large
· Ensure public guidance retains a key place in the comprehensive plan documents
· Build consensus. The Steering Committee shall strive, at all times, to reach a consensus among its members. Voting should not be the default position for the Committee and should only be undertaken in rare cases.
This Committee will perform its charge through the completion and adoption of the Master Plan or until such time as the Selectmen choose to end its job. Membership on the Committee will be by appointment of the Selectmen for a term of two (2) years. The Committee will meeting at least monthly at a regularly scheduled time. The schedule for meetings will be established by the Committee to suit the convenience of its members, consistent with its charge. At its first meeting the Committee will elect its own Chair and Vice- Chair and secretary. All meetings of the Committee will be public and will be posted and records kept of all Committees proceedings according to the Open Meeting law.