YARD SALES are regulated by the Code of the Town of Easton, Chapter 193. The intent was to establish regulations to protect the integrity of residential neighborhoods while at the same time allowing a reasonable number of such activities.
A. Yard sales require a permit issued by the Town Clerk acting as the Agent of the Board of Selectmen, subject to the following conditions.
- The owner or resident is allowed three (3) yard sales per year.
- The applicant must apply five (5) days prior to the date of the proposed sale. The permit fee is ten ($10) dollars.
- Sales shall not exceed two (2) days in duration.
- All material for sale shall originate from the premises where the sale takes place or from residential properties in the immediate neighborhood.
- No signs shall be placed in the street right-of way, including freestanding signs, or any sign affixed to street signs, utility poles, or public trees.
- Authorized signs shall not be displayed for more than two (2) days.
- No person customarily engaged in this business of garage sales or auctions shall participate in any way, directly or indirectly, unless the sale is on that individual’s property and then, only providing none of the material is brought in from outside sources for purposes of resale.
Yard Sale Permits are required in Easton and are obtained at the Town Clerk's Office. The fee is $10.00. You may fill out the permit application (not necessary for walk in permitting) and mail it with an enclosed check (payable to Town of Easton) to the Town Clerk's Office, 136 Elm St., N. Easton, MA 02356.